Day 2.1: a song from your favourite band
116. Radiohead – ‘Cuttooth’
One of their best b sides. Perhaps worthy of a place on Amnesiac.
Day 2.2: a song from a band you hate
Does Bieber count as a band?
I don’t hate him, of course, but I’m quite aggressively uninterested in him.
Day 2.3: a song that is a guilty pleasure
117. Dodgy – ‘Long Life’. This song isn’t really worthy of the “guilty pleasure” tag, but Dodgy stand alongside Toploader and Jamiroquai as the sort of bands whose closest flirtation with cool was on Jamie Oliver’s Naked Chef soundtrack.
Day 2.4: a song that no one would expect you to love
And they’d be right.
Day 2.5: a song that describes you
118. Devendra Banhart – ‘I Feel Just Like a Child’
Day 2.6: a song that you used to love but now hate
In retrospect, not the high point of the cassette singles collection. On a par with DJ Quicksilver’s ‘Bellissima’ and somewhat below the Friends theme, which in turn falls some way short of ‘Lovefool’ by The Cardigans and ‘Sun Hits the Sky’ by Supergrass. This is the first time I’ve formulated the tape hierarchy in words.
Day 2.7: a song that you hear often on the radio
119. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole – ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World’
Day 2.8: a song that you wish you heard on the radio
120. Björk – ‘Where is the Line’
Day 2.9: a song from your favourite album
121. Eels – ‘Climbing to the Moon’
Day 2.10: a song that you listen to when you’re angry
122. Alan Price – ‘Justice’
*tracks missing on we7.